week 7 nature

The  Atlantic Ocean

There are 5 oceans, there is the Atlantic, Arctic, Indian, Pacific, and the Southern. But the one I am writing about is the Atlantic, the Atlantic ocean is the second biggest ocean in the world. There are many islands in the Atlantic ocean, but the most known is the Bahamas, Canary island (Spain), Azores (Portugal), Cape Verde, Islands, and Greenland which is the biggest island in the world. The word Atlantic originates from Greek mythology meaning sea of Atlas.  Atlas was the titan who had to stand on the edge of the earth and carry the heavens on his shoulders as punishment from Zeus as Atlas had fought against the Olympian gods for the control of the heavens.

The Atlantic is the world’s second largest ocean and covers 25 percent of the Earth’s surface, after the Pacific Ocean. The size of the Atlantic Ocean is comparable to about 6 1/2 times the size of the USA. The deepest part of the Atlantic ocean is the Milwaukee Deep in Puerto Rico which is 8,605 meters, the average depth is 3,339 meters. The temperatures of the Atlantic Ocean depends on the location and on the ocean’s currents. The closer to the Equator the warmer the water tends to be. The highest temperature of 82 degrees Fahrenheit is reached in coastal regions near the equator and the lowest temperature is around 28 degrees Fahrenheit in the polar regions.

Among a lot of the major seaports of the Atlantic Ocean, these are the major ports:           Rotterdam by Axel Bueckert/Shutterstock.com

•  Rotterdam (Netherlands), the biggest container port in Europe.
  • Hamburg (Germany)
  • New York (USA)
  • Buenos Aires (Argentina)
  • Colon (Panama), the largest port on the Atlantic Ocean in Latin America with over 3 million containers per year.

The widest part of the ocean is between Brazil and Sierra Leone which is 1770 miles

The places I got my information is from http://www.kids-world-travel-guide.com/atlantic-ocean-facts.html  and http://www.kids-world-travel-guide.com/ocean-facts-for-kids.html

Readers Comments (1)

1. Hi, Easton!

I like your post about the Atlantic Ocean! I live on Long Island, New York, and it sticks out into the Atlantic Ocean.

Reply